International Mediation Institute
Driving transparency and high competency standards in mediation, worldwide.
Welcome to IMI.
IMI is a non-profit initiative driving transparency and standards in mediation, worldwide. With the Vision of Professional Mediation Worldwide: Promoting Consensus and Access to Justice, we set and achieve high mediation standards, convene stakeholders and parties, promote understanding and adoption of mediation, and disseminate skills for parties, counsel, and mediators.
What is mediation?
Mediation is negotiation facilitated by a trusted neutral person.
A mediator’s role
The role of the neutral — the mediator — is to help those involved sort out their issues and arrive at a consensus. That might involve helping parties to finalise an agreement, resolve a dispute, develop effective communications, build or improve relationships, or all these things. Mediators do not take sides. Mediators are impartial and uphold party confidentiality. Learn more >
Benefits of mediation
- cheaper and faster than other forms of dispute resolution, such as litigation
- helps to preserve and improve relationships between parties
- shows respect and value for the people involved in a conflict
- helps people get to and resolve the core of a problem
- can transform situations for better
- produces agreements that parties want to uphold
- IMI Certified Mediators are subject to a Code of Professional Conduct
Finding a mediator
IMI Certified Mediators and Mediation Advocates are highly-experienced professionals who have been vetted and assessed against rigorous independent international standards.
IMI Qualified Mediators have completed quality initial training and are launching their mediation career.
IMI’s Investor-State Mediation Taskforce has developed Investor-State mediation competency standards, a model instrument for States implementing an Investor-State conflict management framework, and revised mediation rules and guides for provider organisations.
You may also be interested in the activities of the Intercultural Competence, Mediation Advocacy, Mixed Mode, Online Dispute Resolution, or Training and Competency Taskforces, as well as the work of our international Ethics Committee.
Read the latest
- UNCITRAL WG III Intersessional Meeting: Use of Mediation in ISDS
- Protecting and facilitating investment within the EU
- Upcoming Investor-State Training
- What is investor-state mediation?
- Videos available: Investor-state mediation events
- Tony Nguyen on Vietnam and the Singapore Convention, and UNCITRAL mediation webinar now available
- Harvard Investor-State Mediation Report
Supported by the IMI Investor-State Taskforce.
Other languages are available on the Investor-State Taskforce page.
Programs and Certification
IMI’s independent Appraisal Committee approves quality training and assessment programs worldwide. All IMI Certification and Qualification is carried out by approved organisations. Qualifying Assessment Programs (QAPs) assess experienced mediators and mediation advocates, for the purpose of becoming IMI Certified or Specialised. Certified Mediator Training Programs (CMTPs) deliver training that meets international standards. Other organisations qualify people with ‘specialisations’, such as Intercultural Competence or Online Mediation. Learn more about applying IMI criteria or registering a quality program, and locate your closest IMI-recognised program here.
IMI Qualified Mediators
IMI Qualified Mediators have completed quality initial training and are dedicated to beginning their mediation career.