Note that the Independent Standards Commission was re-constituted in January 2019, and replaced with the new Independent Advisory Committee. Vetting of QAP and other organisational applications is conducted by the related expert Committee. The following information is included for reference purposes.
The Independent Standards Commission established the criteria, standards and related materials for IMI Certification. Its members, who are all thought leaders in the mediation field in their own right, contribute their time and expertise in their personal capacities and their views are not necessarily representative of the organizations with which they are affiliated.
Role of the ISC
The IMI Independent Standards Commission was convened by IMI for governance purposes:
- Providing advanced thought leadership
- Setting high competency standards for mediators
- Reviewing and approving programmes to qualify mediators for IMI Certification
- Ensuring continuing quality control of approved programmes
- Monitoring the IMI Code of Professional Conduct
- Appointing assessors to review Code of Professional Conduct complaints
- Proposing and approving enhancements to IMI’s Vision and Mission.
Members of the IMI Independent Standards Commission bring their expertise together into ISC Committees and Task-forces to work with IMI.
Links to members’ IMI profiles are included where applicable.
- Constantin-Adi Gavrilă, Co-Chair (Romania)
- Judith P Meyer, Co-Chair (USA)
- Mark Appel, Malta
- Pascal Comvalius, Netherlands
- Ana Maria Maia Gonçalves, Malaysia
- Margaret Halsmith, Australia
- Prof Ellen Waldman, USA
Taskforce, Committee, and other former ISC Members
- Aditya Shivkumar, India. ODR TF.
- Adolfo Braga Neto, Brazil
- Alan Limbury, Australia
- Alberto Elisavetsky, Argentina. ODR TF.
- Ales Zalar, Slovenia. ODR TF.
- Alexander Oddy, UK. Mediation Advocacy TF.
- Alicia Lloreda, Colombia
- Allan J. Stitt, Canada
- Aloysius Goh, Singapore. Appraisal Committee.
- André von Walter, Belgium. Investor-State TF.
- Andrew Burr, UK
- Andrew Gibson, Ireland. Appraisal Committee.
- Andrew Goodman, UK. Appraisal Committee, Mediation Advocacy TF.
- Angela Herberholz, France. Co-Founder of YMI.
- Anil Xavier, India. Ethics Committee.
- Anna Joubin-Bret, France. Prior Chair of Investor-State TF.
- Annette Magnusson, Sweden. Investor-State TF.
- Antonia Masaglia, Italy. AppraisalCommittee.
- Prof Archie Zariski, Canada
- Barton Legume, France. Investor-State TF.
- Beatriz Martorello, Argentina
- Bill Scouller, UK. ODR TF.
- Carol Powell, New Zealand
- Prof Carrie Menkel-Meadow, USA
- Christian-Radu Chereji, Romania. Appraisal Committee.
- Christopher Honeyman, USA
- Claude Amar, France
- Colin Brown, Belgium. Investor-State TF.
- Conrad Daly, USA. Investor-State TF.
- Daniel Rainey, USA. Co-Chair of ODR TF.
- David McCutcheon, Canada
- David Richbell, UK
- Deniz Kite, Turkey. Appraisal Committee.
- Diana Wallis, UK. Former IMI Board member, ODR TF.
- Dimitra K. Triantafyllou, Greece. Appraisal Committee, Mediation Advocacy TF.
- Prof Dwight Golann, USA
- Edna Sussman, USA. Mixed-Mode TF.
- Eduardo Silva Romero, France. Investor-State TF.
- Eileen Carroll, UK
- Elena Koltsaki, Greece. Appraisal Committee.
- Eloise Obadia, USA. Investor-State TF.
- Esther Aura Vilalta, Spain. ODR TF.
- Ethan Katsh, USA. ODR TF.
- Ewa Gmurzynska, Poland. Mediation Advocacy TF.
- F. Peter Müller, Germany
- Fatma Khalifa, Egypt. Investor-State TF.
- Franco Conforti, Spain. ODR TF.
- Francois Bogacz, Portugal. Appraisal Committee.
- Dr Frank Fowlie, Canada. ODR TF.
- Frauke Nitschke, USA. Investor-State TF.
- Geoff Sharp, New Zealand
- Gigi de Groot, Sweden. Intercultural TF.