IMI’s Investor-State Mediation Taskforce has assisted the development of Investor-State mediation competency standards, a model instrument for States implementing an Investor-State conflict management framework and revised mediation rules and guides for Investor-State dispute resolution provider organisations. IMI has also teamed with other Investor-State organisations to launch a series of Investor-State mediator skills training programmes.
Those participating in this task force do so in their personal capacities. The views, opinions and output of the task force do not necessarily reflect the position of the member’s employer or other affiliation.
Investor-State Mediation Listserv
To join the ISM listserv, provided by IMI but open to all those interested in investor-state mediation, please fill in the below form. You will then be able to send information, opportunities, and success stories about investor-state mediation to all members. You can of course unsubscribe at any time and also limit how many digests you receive.
- Offer practical guidelines for using the cooling off period to give mediation a viable chance
- Determine minimum standards of knowledge, skills and relevant experience for neutrals involved in Investor-State mediation
- Assist the parties in finding competent and suitable mediators or co-mediators for Investor-State disputes.
- Ensure a Designating Authority is identified if the parties cannot agree on one
- Provide model documents, decision trees, and case assessment tools to assist the parties and their counsel in Investor-State disputes to gain fresh insights into their case, and better understand each party’s interests, needs and concerns
- Keep the Mediation Rules quite distinct from Conciliation Rules
- Enable the creative use of hybrids, such as Dispute Resolution Boards
Products and downloads
- Protecting and facilitating investment within the EU
- Upcoming Investor-State Training
- What is investor-state mediation?
- Videos available: Investor-state mediation events
- Tony Nguyen on Vietnam and the Singapore Convention, and UNCITRAL mediation webinar now available
- Harvard Investor-State Mediation Report
- Upcoming Investor-State Mediation Events
- Leadership changes – IMI Board and Investor-State Taskforce
- COVID-19 and Mediation of Investor-State disputes: A way forward
- Wolf von Kumberg on ISDS and the Singapore Convention
- IMI’s Investor-State Taskforce gains recognition
- ICSID’s Role in Advancing Investor-State Mediation
- Update: New Public Consultation On Shaping European Investment Dispute Resolution Policy
- Invitation to Comment: European Commission Investment Dispute Resolution Policy
- Investor-State Mediation: Not Whether, Or Even When, But How
- New Competency Criteria for Investor-State Mediators
- Videos available: BIICL Forum on Investor-State Mediation (2020)
- Webinar: Second Annual Hong Kong Mediation Lecture, feat Mark Appel. “Investor-State Mediation at the Tipping Point“. (2020)
- Investor State Mediation Training (news release) ICSID (2017)
- Training for Mediators in Investor-State Disputes, Washington D.C. Energy Charter Secretariat (2017)
- Investor-State Mediator Training – Pilot Program (2017)
- The Difficulties Of Conciliation In Investment Treaty Cases: A Comment On Professor Jack C. Coe’s ‘Toward A Complementary Use Of Conciliation In Investor-State Disputes — A Preliminary Sketch’. Barton Legum, Transnational Dispute Resolution (2016)
- The Energy Charter Treaty and ADR in the context of Investor-State and other Disputes Wolf von Kumberg and Michael Cover, International Energy Charter (2016)
- The Difficulties Of Conciliation In Investment Treaty Cases: A Comment On Professor Jack C. Coe’s ‘Toward A Complementary Use Of Conciliation In Investor-State Disputes — A Preliminary Sketch’. Barton Legum, Transnational Dispute Management (2016)
- Enabling Early Settlement in Investor–State Arbitration: The Time to Introduce Mediation Has Come Wolf von Kumberg, Jeremy Lack and Michael Leathes (2014)
|Mediator Certification||Chaired by Michael Cover, with Mariana H.C. Gonstead, Wolf von Kumberg, Karen Mills, Frauke Nitschke, Jeremy Sharpe, Mark Appel, Marie Talasova and Hannah Tuempel.|
|IS Settlement Data/Research||Chaired by James Claxton, with Olfa Hamdi, Mariana H.C. Gonstead, Catherine Kessedjian, Lucy Reed, Carlos Valderama and Nancy Welsh.|
|Institutional/Singapore Convention|| |
Chaired by Sarah Vasani, with Mohamed Abdel Raouf, Alejandro Carballo Leyda, Judith Knieper, Maka Gotsiridze, Elise Groulx, Frauke Nitschke, Vilawan Mangaklatanakul, Duncan Bagshaw and Ike Ehiribe