International Mediation Institute
Driving transparency and high competency standards in mediation, worldwide.
Welcome to IMI.
IMI is a non-profit initiative driving transparency and standards in mediation, worldwide. With the Vision of Professional Mediation Worldwide: Promoting Consensus and Access to Justice, we set and achieve high mediation standards, convene stakeholders and parties, promote understanding and adoption of mediation, and disseminate skills for parties, counsel, and mediators.
What is mediation?
Mediation is negotiation facilitated by a trusted neutral person.
A mediator’s role
The role of the neutral — the mediator — is to help those involved sort out their issues and arrive at a consensus. That might involve helping parties to finalise an agreement, resolve a dispute, develop effective communications, build or improve relationships, or all these things. Mediators do not take sides. Mediators are impartial and uphold party confidentiality. Learn more >
Benefits of mediation
- cheaper and faster than other forms of dispute resolution, such as litigation
- helps to preserve and improve relationships between parties
- shows respect and value for the people involved in a conflict
- helps people get to and resolve the core of a problem
- can transform situations for better
- produces agreements that parties want to uphold
- IMI Certified Mediators are subject to a Code of Professional Conduct
Finding a mediator
IMI Certified Mediators and Mediation Advocates are highly-experienced professionals who have been vetted and assessed against rigorous independent international standards.
IMI Qualified Mediators have completed quality initial training and are launching their mediation career.