Experienced peace mediator and current US Institute for Peace researcher Dr Juan Diaz will be leading a discussion on peace mediation. In his presentation, Juan will be talking about:
- Types of mediator in the peace mediation world
- The types of conflicts they deal with
- Differences between peace mediation and mediation support
- How this field of mediation is different to more evaluative styles, including with regard to the role of the mediator, and the emphasis on pre- and post-mediation
- The synergy between peace and commercial mediators, with the example of how this worked in the Balkans
This will be followed by a Q&A.
Juan Diaz-Prinz is a senior expert on mediation and dialogue at the U.S. Institute of Peace. He is a mediator, trainer, and facilitator who has dedicated his career to bridging the gap between theory and practice in mediation. He started his career in the Office of the International Mediator in Bosnia and Herzegovina (1998-2004) and then co-founded the CSSP: Berlin Center for Integrative Mediation. He served as its director and senior mediator between 2005 and 2013. He later supported the founding of the European Institute of Peace for mediatEUr: the European Forum for International Mediation and Dialogue. Before joining USIP, he was working on developing the Conflict Management Space as an online platform for developing simple innovative training material for practitioners working in the field.From Juan’s USIP profile – learn more at https://www.usip.org/people/juan-diaz-prinz-phd